Thursday, July 8, 2010

Experiencing Thai Massage

I love getting massages. My husband is pretty good at giving a good massage himself, but nothing beats a  full hour of professional massage. I've had deep tension releasing massages, hot stone massages, therapeutic massages, Swedish massage, sports massages.....it sounds like I get massages all the time, doesn't it? Well, the truth is, I treat myself to a massage after a big event, such as a marathon, and my husband signs me up for a nice massage from time to time, usually around Mother's Day or my birthday. So, really, I'd say I splurge for a professional massage about twice a year-and I'm always glad I did.

So here was something new, one of the yoga instructors (who also is a licensed massage therapist) at the yoga studio where I teach is getting a new type of massage certification in Thai Massage, and she has been putting her new skills to test on the rest of us down at the studio (bummer for us, lol). I gladly offered  my bod up to practice new techniques on, not really knowing what it was all about, but always up for a new adventure.

I think I timed it right, because I don't think Michelle needs anymore practice getting her new massage techniques down. I guess it pays to be the last guinea pig! Ninety minutes is the minimum time for a real Thai Massage and it can be continued for up to three hours. The massage is conducted on a mat on the floor with the use of different yoga props, including bolsters, blankets and pillows. Clients wear comfortable, stretchy clothing, such as you would wear to a yoga or fitness class. There is no use of oils or lotions. It incorporates yoga postures and breathing, as well as traditional massage techniques. Also, the massage therapist will use his or her feet to massage different muscles. No, she didn't walk on me but pressure was applied using the feet, and it felt fabulous. I found myself wondering if she was using her hands or her feet at times, often I wasn't sure which it was. At the end, I felt stretched, aligned and most of all, relaxed. It was a great experience and I highly recommend it.

Massage, a great addition to your overall long term health maintenance plan. If you're interested in giving it a try, Michelle is offering a discount throughout the month of July. Contact info. is below. Enjoy!



Michelle Clemens, LMP
Nationally Certified
Therapeutic Massage and Body Work

@

Well Being  Health Center
19337 Jensen Way NE
Poulsbo, WA 98370
360-697-6100

Happy Massaging!

-Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment